Saturday, February 7, 2009

This Potato Chip is no longer Kosher.

There wasn't a bag of potato crisps gobbled last night.  There was only one.  A trendy diner's attempt to impress me and all the drunk people of Los Feliz with their fancy versions of diner staples such as a bacon, egg and hash brown bap complete with a single, crispy, slice of potato attached to a toothpick sticking out of the sandwich like a crown. A mere garnish.

Fred 62 did manage to impress this one, because while the chip was a little oily and stuck to the toothpick in a slightly unsettling way, they sure hit a home run on the breakfast sandwich. The buttered bun is what really sent it down the line into my very pleased belly.  I also doused this very non-Kosher food (on Shabbat no less) in "maple syrup" (I won't pay extra for the "real stuff' as servers always encourage when you ask for syrup) to achieve the eggy, syrupy, porky and cheesy delight I happily consumed the previous night at the Noho Diner in the Valley, the Monte Cristo.  I forgot how much I had always wanted to try the Monte Cristo.  

Working at Clarke's in Chicago introduced me to the delectable sammie.  Though, I did curse the customer in my head whenever one was ordered.  It was the server's responsibility to give the kitchen the bread for the Monte Cristo.  Why the cooks could not have their own stock of bread to pluck from in the kitchen was beyond me.  On a few occasions I would forget and get yelled at by a cook, one of the jerk owners, or by a customer.  


I've become quite self destructive with my late night syrup sandwiches.  I promise I will stop(soon) and get back to the tater chips.  Today I will continue with the Zapp's box of Louisiana chippies. 

Oh and go see 'Coraline'.  One of the most beautiful things I've seen. Make sure you do 3D.  

1 comment:

BloodyGuts said...

Hey I like Fred62!
Theres this amazing salad there that I cannot recall the name to.. I want to call it SW something.
Its fucking delish man.

PS> I bought a bag o chips for you by some company in PA I've never heard of at Gabes. BUT
apparently Tara's cat was trapped in my room and coincidentally is the one that loves chips. Needless to say, the chips aren't gonna make it.